Sunday, September 25, 2011

A Day at the hospital

5.9.11

Upon waking, we had the job of packing and moving out. Bill had packed much of our gear while we were out yesterday, so really it became a fairly hurried 'throw everything into bags'. Michael had started trying to make arrangements, including contacting insurance company, workplaces etc.
Ordered a maxi taxi to take us across town with all the gear. On arrival Shelly looked exhausted and had not slept much through the night. The alarm for the antibiotics went off every half hour and woke her. Hamish looked a bit brighter.
Bill and I took Hannah to go in search of some accommodation for tonight. For a while we were homeless. Multiple phone calls came to nothing, so we headed for the Tourist Information Office at Vincennes. As usual for Paris, it was closed for a couple of hours in the middle of the day so we went to McDonalds because it had wifi. Whilst I tried to download updates, emails etc etc, Hannah and Bill went in search of a toilet.
These are somewhat elusive places in the Paris region, and often cost 20- 50c to use. Eventually they found one.
We had less luck in securing some form of accommodation, but eventually managed to get a hotel right near the hospital - within 10 mins walking distance. Nothing flash and tiny rooms, typical of Paris but clean and comfortable.
Shelly and I lay on beds talking until about midnight, despite us both being totally exhausted. I think we both needed to get back to some normality. Hannah and Bill had fallen asleep and Michael was on hospital guard duty.
The shower I had before falling exhausted into bed was just wonderful. Hot, good pressure (despite a few arguments with a shower curtain that wanted to embrace me).

No comments:

Post a Comment